Welcome to KABOOOOOM’s brand new Movies channel! We’ll be starting off with our very first Sunday Scoop, a weekly feature that will be keeping you up-to-date on the best movie news from around the web. This week, we have twelve minutes of behind-the-scenes footage of Pacific Rim, Pixar’s future plans, an interview with The Wolverine director James Mangold, and more!
- 3D box office hit a new domestic low with last week’s releases of “Monsters University” and “World War Z”. “Monsters University” held the lowest percentage of 3D box office revenue for any animated title in modern history, while “World War Z” had the weakest 3D showing for any action film. 3D still seems to be a hit overseas, but it’ll be interesting to continue observing domestic trends.
- Paramount, Annapurna Pictures, and Skydance Productions have announced a reboot of “The Terminator”, set to be released on June 26, 2015.
- Vin Diesel was apparently called in for a meeting with Marvel last week. Let the speculations begin!
- Early box office tracking predicts opening weekend numbers to be low for the upcoming “Pacific Rim”. Despite this, plus recent negative press for the film, director Guillermo del Toro assured fans that “We are on the right track”. Take a look at twelve minutes of behind-the-scenes footage and decide for yourself.
- Sony Pictures is in negotiations to pick up the rights for a live-action Captain Planet adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy, and Susan Montford. Although the world is all for superhero movies, this one could be risky. It’s been awhile since Captain Planet was on the air, and some 90s Kids may actually have thought this was a picture of the Magic Schoolbus kids on steroids.
- For those of you who couldn’t get enough of Leo DiCaprio and Jamie Foxx in last year’s “Django Unchained”, get the streamers and balloons ready – the duo have signed on to appear in the upcoming Warner Brothers crime film, “Mean Business on North Ganson Street”.
- Speaking of awesome team-ups, Joel Edgerton has joined Michael Shannon in an untitled, upcoming Jeff Nichols project.
- With a somewhat scattered track record since “Cars 2,” Pixar has announced plans of producing fewer sequels, and one original movie per year from here on out.
- Get a look into how Weta Studios brought Krypton’s “Liquid-Geo” technology to life in this new “Man of Steel” featurette!
- Director James Mangold gives an insightful interview on “The Wolverine” over at Slashfilm, where you can check out the full transcript.
- Liam Neeson has signed on for yet another entry into the “Taken” franchise. For a guy who’s supposed to be a super-badass ex-CIA agent, his character apparently really sucks at keeping kidnappers away.
And that’s it for Kabooooom’s very first Sunday Scoop! For our fellow Americans out there, hope you have a safe and happy 4th of July, and we’ll be back next week with another round-up of the web’s best movie clicks.